- My dress is a LOT more elegant and well cut than hers is (So I have better taste and fashion sense)
- I am the champion Quarterback on the Team (so the other Quarterbacks were losers)
- I have been to College and have a Master’s Degree in English and a Doctorate in Astronomy (so this guy working as a stock boy in Walmart must be an idiot);
- I own the company and make a ton of money so I am much better than the losers that work for me
- by traveling and continuing to explore new areas of knowledge, so as to expand our horizons
- by interacting with a more diverse group of people
- seeking out new experiences
- adding to or increasing our skill set
- by self-study and understanding we achieve greater self-awareness.
- a different race (White vs. non-White),
- a different nationality (Anglo Saxon vs. Italian),
- a different religion (Protestant vs. Catholic or Christian vs. Jew),
- a different social class (aristocrat vs. serf),
- a different political ideology (capitalism vs. communism),
- a different sexual orientation (heterosexual vs. homosexual),
- a different origin (native born vs. immigrant).
- During the campaign, the donald undercut his opponents in the race to the Primary Election by emphasizing their differences, and by claiming that they were “Low Energy”, stupid, or “Flip-Floppers” – implying that his Republican opponents were old, feeble, or untrustworthing, and so unable to deal with the pressures of the Presidency. For his one Female opponent, he derided her for her appearance – saying with contempt that she was so ugly she could NOT possibly be considered to be presidential material.
- During the race to the General Election, he exaggerated Sec. Clinton’s state of health, implying she was about to keel over dead at any moment; He pushed the misogynistic view that it was impossible for a woman to be President; He and his campaign staff would inflame the audience members at rallies to chant “Lock Her Up”, in spite of the fact that after 40 years of investigations by his own party, NO criminal acts had been uncovered.
- During the Campaign, the donald said, over and over again, that the ACA was failing, was likely to disintegrate in a year or less, and was a total failure. He said HIS plan was to cover all Americans with a better plan, and make Premiums go down quite a bit. He also NEVER used the act’s real name – The ACA – Rather he continually called it “ObamaCare.” to appeal to the latent racism in the hearts of his followers. This claim of his was, of course a lie, but by repeating it many times and being careful to avoid any questions on exactly HOW “his GREAT Plan” was supposed to make these changes to the Health Insurance situation, he distracted many Americans who were unhappy that their Premiums HAD gone up, and by connecting the ACA with “The Other” of President Obama, got their votes.
- During the campaign, the donald KEPT pushing the theme of “Radical Islamic Terrorists” flooding into the country. This, in spite of the fact that almost EVERY terrorist attack in America since the events of 2001/09/11 have been done by citizens of the country who have been radicalized by the war that George W. Bush dropped us into shortly thereafter, or have nothing to do with Islam or the Middle East at all – being perpetuated by White Supremacists against people of color, and the like.
- Throughout the campaign, the Republicans in general, and the donald in specific, characterized the news media as “The Other” There were unsubstantiated claims that they were lying about him. He claimed that the responsible and ethical journalists were creating “Fake News” about him. He even went so far as claim such falsehoods as this:
- “A few days ago I called the fake news the enemy of the people, and they are — they are the enemy of the people,” Trump told the annual Conservative Political Action Conference While praising some reporters as honest, and pledging fealty to the First Amendment, Trump claimed that “the fake news media doesn’t tell the truth.” He said reporters should not be allowed to use anonymous sources, and “we’re going to do something about it.” These comments and many more like them over the past couple of years, are an obvious attempt to make the Press into “The Other” – A danger to America, and to destroy their legitimate role in society as a watch dog of the government.
The Concept of The Other permeates other parts of society too. The Black Lives Matter movement has been vilified since its beginnings with a variety of unsupported claims. It was created when the institutional racism which has been growing in America for the past few decades reached a point that it appeared to the people of color in our society that it was open hunting season on them. Having tried petitions and filing complaints about blatant racism exhibited by the government on all levels from the leaders down to the LEOs who seem to be the strike forces for that racism, and had NO positive results from them, people of color have taken to more energetic activism. For this, they have been peppered with claims of being Vandals whose only goal is to destroy businesses and loot them (in spite of the proven fact that only a tiny percentage of outside agitators in the crowds were doing this, and a huge majority of the protestors were peaceably exercising their First Amendment Rights). They are accused of raising a war against Whites or cops, in spite of the fact that they NEVER say “Black Lives Matter More than Other Lives”. They are threatened and arrested when filming examples of police abuse of unarmed civilians, in spite of the fact they are doing nothing wrong and are not interfering with the events. They are called “Thugs” and “Animals” to the extent that many White folks automatically lock their doors when a person of color approaches their car. The fact is that a vast majority of people of color are no different from you or me. They are people of good will, who worry about their children, and try to teach them good values. They are trying to do the best job at work they can, because they take pride in doing a good job.
Yet…they are changed into the “Boogie Man” because the Republicans need an enemy to focus the emotions of their followers on. Look at the picture of the Black society in America as painted by the Republicans. According to the donald, all people of color live in inner city ghettos that are filthy, deteriorating, and filled with violence. Added to that, many Republicans portray them as parasites, working only to get benefits from the Government, so they can live the good life without working. They portray them as sexually promiscuous, producing many children they cannot afford to feed, and continually aborting inconvenient fetuses. They are portrayed as criminals, flooding the Perfect World of White America with drugs and prostitutes.
Another example of “The Other” is the LGBTQ community in America. Again, the Republicans scream out unsubstantiated claims about them, and, almost every legislative body from states up to the Congress has passed or tried to pass laws which remove the basic rights for Citizens as laid out in the Constitution. Some of these laws have taken root and are still there. Most have been thrown out by the courts. The current tempest that the Republicans are using to stir up their followers is the amazingly silly, but emotional, fears over which gender bathroom that TransGender folks use to relieve themselves. The rhetoric on this is amazing, as it is so far out of left field that one wonders what planet the folks that produce it live on. There are a huge number of people who claim that if trans women are allowed in woman’s bathrooms, they will sexually molest small children. There are some who say that allowing this will enable sexual predators who are NOT Trans to claim “To be women today”, head into the bathroom, and engage in perverted acts. This view is unsupported by reality and has NEVER been shown to have any evidence of being the truth. The fact is that Trans folks have been using the facilities next to Cis folks for hundreds of years, without problems. Yet…by invoking “The Other” as a danger, the Republicans rile up their followers, build support and get votes.
The last example of “The Other” I will touch on here are the immigrants and migrant workers who enter America. The Republicans have been painting every Refugee and immigrant that is not White as a possible terrorist. They produce a continual drumbeat of fear over a flood of Muslim Terrorists slipping into the country and destroying our infrastructure, and society. They have pushed the idea of “Muslim Terrorist” so hard that many of their followers believe that is one, not two, words. There are approximately 1.7 billion Muslims in the world. Less than 200,000 are the fanatical fundamentalists who are engaging in this (ultimately futile) war to take their society back to a mythical time when the Caliphate ruled, and all Muslims supported Religious Purity!
The fact is that, since 2001/09/11, there have been a few, fairly small acts of terrorism, but almost all of these were not perpetuated by immigrants, but, rather, were by Citizens or legal residents of the country whose basic, fundamentalist views of reality had been inflamed and radicalized by the treatment of Muslims in America since that day.
The issue of migrant workers is another use of The Other. The Republicans have, for as long as I can recall, trumpeted how terrible these people who snuck into the United States to live and work are. As the donald said in his FIRST speech when he stepped into the ring to run for the Office of President:
When Mexico sends its people, they are not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
The bottom line is that the concept of “The Other” is a useful tool for the Republicans to keep their followers stirred up. Their view of America is of a lily-white population, and a society of bucolic peace rather like the fantasy presented in “The Andy Griffith Show”. In order to achieve the goal of controlling their followers, they, rather cynically, use the concept of “The Other” to give Americans an enemy – a Boogie Man – to hate and look upon as the Enemy of their culture. Alas, this is delusional on their part, for a variety of reasons.
- America has NEVER been a homogenous society. it has always been a melting pot from its origins with the Landing of the Pilgrims, until today. The country is too big, and too diverse to be the sort of society that much smaller countries, such as Japan, or Norway exhibit.
- They are blind to the fact that immigrants bring strength to the county, and are NOT tearing it down. Diversity is the best survival tool on Earth. As a botanical example of the importance of diversity, let me tell this story. Back about 40 years or so ago, The Tennessee Valley Authority wanted to perk up the park lands near one of their flagship dams, so it would be more attractive to tourists. So, being a bureaucracy, they had crews come in and plant hundreds of pine trees over the entire park. This looked great for quite a while as the saplings rapidly grew into large shade trees. But, after a decade or so of growth, we had a massive infestation of Pine Borer beetles. They must have thought they were in heaven when they landed on the grounds around the dam, as there was nothing there but pine trees. Over a two year period, the infestation killed off EVERY one of the pine trees. Had the TVA paid attention to the forestry experts around the area, they would have ended up with a mixed species forest that would have likely made it more difficult for the Pine Borers to survive – because the pine trees were far more scattered out – and would have ensured that the appearance of the Reservation would not have been seriously impacted if the pine trees HAD been lost.
- The fact of the matter is that the ACA, while it does have problems, was a huge step forwards for Americans. It shielded them from many of the abusive treatments that the Health Care Insurance industry profited from in years past. it ended up getting 20 million Americans who had not had insurance before covered so they could have a net in case of catastrophe, and, could access preventative care – cutting the number of people in Crisis that showed up at the E.R. The Republican alternative, as it is turning out, essentially returns us to the bad old days of unregulated Industry, promising to kick 24 million people off their coverage, and likely causing rural hospitals to have to close their doors. This is a moment where the folks that voted for the donald are getting a cold chill down their spine. Many of them have just realized that the “Obamacare” they hated is the same package as the ACA – which is providing them with life-saving medications and treatments. So…when the Obamacare goes away…they will be out in the cold again! A perfect example of “The Other” distracting the voters so they will not realize that light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
- As I have pointed out earlier, not all Muslims are insane, fanatical fundamentalists; all but a tiny percentage are living life just like everyone else, trying to rear their children to be good people, trying to keep food on the table, and trying to keep danger and violence out of their lives.
- Migrant workers do not come to America with the goal of putting Americans out of work. They come here because even the crappy wages they are paid are much better than they can get in Mexico, which allows them to live here, and still send money back home to help their families. They come here as undocumented workers because there is a huge demand on the part of Americans for cheap labor to pick the produce, clean the houses and hotels, run the restaurants, and build the buildings here.
What can we, as Liberals/Progressives do to fight against this use of “The Other?” That is a difficult question, as I have demonstrated here, the concept of “The Other” is a basic instinct that cannot be eliminated. However, each of us DOES have the ability to look at these instinctive reactions, and choose not to allow them to control us. So, I suggest that ways to help push back and keep the Republicans from exploiting this instinct include the following:
- Continue to be aware of the basic concept of “The Other” as a tool of control, and look at every statement from a politician with care.
- Be aware of the images their words generate. If it feels like those images are of faceless, scary enemies…step back and do not accept what is being said without question.
- if you run into people on Social Media who are caught up in this madness…politely and calmly interact with them, with the goal of confronting them with the truth, in the hopes that this will bring them to see reality again.
- If they are ranting about “The Other” of the day – The Muslims, folks from the LGBTQ community, “Libtards”, etc, give it a shot. However keep in mind that sometimes there will be no “dialogue” or possibility of dialogue. As I have pointed out elsewhere, dealing with Right-Wingers who are caught up in that beau monde of delusion can be frustrating because they seem to be immune to facts. In that case, I suggest stating the truth, and moving on.
- When you run across a person like this, remember it is a waste of time and energy to attempt to argue with them, as that is like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon may always lose, but, it will just strut around crapping on the board and knocking pieces off it, and will claim to have won anyway.
God Help Us All!
Bee Man Dave
Powered by Blogilo